• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C5 Corvette Forums : C5 Corvette General Discussion : 2001 C5 Corvette Check Engine Light
C5 Corvette General Discussion
1997 - 2004 Corvettes Sponsored by
NakidParts.com

Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
SnowKitty01
Smokin 100HP Club

Default 2001 C5 Corvette Check Engine Light

As mentioned in my little intro, I'm new here with a question. While driving back from a dinner part on Wednesday night my 2001 C5 Corvette with around 48,000 miles, I noticed the check engine thing was lit. The following day I brought the car to my local dealer and the service manager at the Chevrolet dealership told me they could not inspect the car until the light goes out for me to bring it back after the light goes out for the inspection??? This guy didn't come across as professional at all, I have never had any problems with this car? Any ideas?
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
prochargedvette
Smokin 200HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowKitty01 View Post
As mentioned in my little intro, I'm new here with a question. While driving back from a dinner part on Wednesday night my 2001 C5 Corvette with around 48,000 miles, I noticed the check engine thing was lit. The following day I brought the car to my local dealer and the service manager at the Chevrolet dealership told me they could not inspect the car until the light goes out for me to bring it back after the light goes out for the inspection??? This guy didn't come across as professional at all, I have never had any problems with this car? Any ideas?

Did they plug their computer into the car?
prochargedvette is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
espz06
Smokin 100HP Club

They didn't pull the codes???
Do it yourself:

Turn the ignition key on, but don't start the car (actually I've done it with the car running, but it's recommended to not do that).

Hold down the OPTIONS button and press the FUEL button four times. You're now in diagonstic mode. It should run through any and all codes. You can play with the buttons to scroll through them once it's done flashing everything. Write them all down. Any code with an "H" in it means that it's history, that it happened at some point and probably isn't a problem unless it comes up again. You can press the RESET button to clear those. Post the codes that come up and we'll see if we can't help you out a bit.
espz06 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
rainman
Smokin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espz06 View Post
They didn't pull the codes???
Do it yourself:

Turn the ignition key on, but don't start the car (actually I've done it with the car running, but it's recommended to not do that).

Hold down the OPTIONS button and press the FUEL button four times. You're now in diagonstic mode. It should run through any and all codes. You can play with the buttons to scroll through them once it's done flashing everything. Write them all down. Any code with an "H" in it means that it's history, that it happened at some point and probably isn't a problem unless it comes up again. You can press the RESET button to clear those. Post the codes that come up and we'll see if we can't help you out a bit.
I didn't know you could do this? I always wondered how people seemed to always have their codes?
rainman is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
espz06
Smokin 100HP Club

It's pretty easy...and the first time you do it, it's like opening the suitcase in Pulp Fiction....or Indy opening the Ark of the Covenant...it's just REALLY cool that the DIC has that much information.
espz06 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
SnowKitty01
Smokin 100HP Club

Thanks a bunch I'm not really good with anything on the car so going to have a friend do what you have just shared. I printed out everything! Will keep you posted.
SnowKitty01 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
BMW-GUY
Smokin Member

I have to give GM some credit, I have a 2004 C5 with 118,000 miles on it and engine light has been on for the last couple months at least! I'm scared to see how many codes come up!
BMW-GUY is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Lethal Tendencies
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GUY View Post
I have to give GM some credit, I have a 2004 C5 with 118,000 miles on it and engine light has been on for the last couple months at least! I'm scared to see how many codes come up!
Don't worry, you will see alot of codes,but alot of them will be meaningless.Its in your cars best interest to get the problem solved
Lethal Tendencies is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
tom snitzer
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

If you have a check engine lite coming on, any reputable mechanic should be able to plug it into a computer/code readout device and in about 3 minutes determine if the problem warrants addressing further.

Don't mess around and risk allowing a small problem to grow into a big one!
tom snitzer is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google