• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : General Corvette Forums : Corvette Audio : Bose Amp and Replacement Speakers
Corvette Audio
Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Blue260
Smokin 100HP Club

Default Bose Amp and Replacement Speakers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after an extensive search on previous posts regarding the stock Bose 7 speaker configuration, just changing out the stock speakers (front and rear) with either Polk, JL, Boston Acoustics, Focal, etc., will really not enhance or justify the improvement without replacing the amp and front pancake sub-woofers.

Any positive feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
chris
Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Raydawg357
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

You can't change the speakers without removing or bypassing the Bose amp. You will run into an impedance problem. You will hear a significant improvement by replacing the radio and your best bet for optimal sound is to yank the bose out and replace radio and speakers. Dennis at DDMods has some great package deals. Hope this helps.

"I'm addicted to naked pictures and talking about B!#*^$ that I almost had"..........Drake
Raydawg357 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Vettemagnet
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue260 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after an extensive search on previous posts regarding the stock Bose 7 speaker configuration, just changing out the stock speakers (front and rear) with either Polk, JL, Boston Acoustics, Focal, etc., will really not enhance or justify the improvement without replacing the amp and front pancake sub-woofers.

Any positive feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
chris
Chris,

You CAN change out the 3.5" front Speakers with a good aftermarket ones and they will improve the high frequency notes. Some of the guys call them "Twiddlers". A lot of guy over at the corvette forum are doing this. You can replace the rear speakers with 5.25" speakers. Also, consider disconnecting the centre speaker, this will dramatically improve the front stage.

Also, here's a good reference... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...se-system.html

I did all of this in the wifes car two years ago and it sounds great. I went with the Infinity Kappa series. The polk DB's are very popular.

Last edited by Vettemagnet; 04-23-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Vettemagnet is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
wascapsfan
Smokin 200HP Club

WOW!!! I bought the exact same 3.5" speakers that you did and I wasn't at all impressed with the sound. I listen to rock though so maybe that was the difference.
I was so fed up with the Bose system that I finally changed the whole system out. I still used all Infinity except for the sub. JL AUDIO for that.
wascapsfan is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Vettemagnet
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascapsfan View Post
WOW!!! I bought the exact same 3.5" speakers that you did and I wasn't at all impressed with the sound. I listen to rock though so maybe that was the difference.
I was so fed up with the Bose system that I finally changed the whole system out. I still used all Infinity except for the sub. JL AUDIO for that.
They sound great to me. It actually has highs now. I also listen to rock.

My 04 is going to be treated to a set of Hertz components and probably an IM sub all hooked into Zed amps. I'm not sure about the HU yet.
Vettemagnet is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
brainle55
Smokin Member

I recently completed a complete install including new speakers and added two 8" subs
I am happy with the new sound, and it is certainly an improvement. I tried just adding a new HU and single 8" in the back, and unfortunately the Bose system just wasn't keeping up and started cracking and popping, so I decided to just redo it.
Added JVC HU
300 Watt Rockford Fosgate Amp to drive 5.25 component and 6.5 component kicker speakers
500 Watt RF to drive two RF 8" subs.
Lef the center speaker alone and just disconnected, which seems to be the recommendation.

The cost was over $1,000 and took me several weekends to complete by myself in spare time. I did it over the winter when the car is normally off the road anyway.
brainle55 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
mojo 97 vett
Smokin Member

Dennis at DDMods is the man
mojo 97 vett is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
tampatopless
Smokin Member

Yes, I think it's an "all-in" kind of thing.

You can keep the HU or not. But on the rest, you will need - at a minimum - two 6.5 component or coaxial speakers, a four-channel amp and a subwoofer.

The two-channels of the amp will power the set of 6.5" speakers in the doors and the remaining two channels of the amp will be connected to power the subwoofer.

That's about as cheap as it gets.
tampatopless is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Theo
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

You can and I have done it:
Because the speaker(s) have the amplifiers on them and the CDM unit the pre-amp module, you can install at the back a separate driver amp to the speakers. Front you will experience space problem and what I used is the Audi TT litlle 2 channel amp smaller than the palm of my hand and quite an output.
So the CDM (under dash passenger side) is the pre-amp and the driver amps are on the speakers depending on your model offcourse.
Works fine with me good sound original look!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Snowweasel
Smokin 100HP Club

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettemagnet View Post
Chris,

You CAN change out the 3.5" front Speakers with a good aftermarket ones and they will improve the high frequency notes. Some of the guys call them "Twiddlers". A lot of guy over at the corvette forum are doing this. You can replace the rear speakers with 5.25" speakers. Also, consider disconnecting the centre speaker, this will dramatically improve the front stage.

Also, here's a good reference... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...se-system.html

I did all of this in the wifes car two years ago and it sounds great. I went with the Infinity Kappa series. The polk DB's are very popular.
Thanks for the link
Snowweasel is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google