• Corvette Forum
  • Login to Corvette Forums
  • SmokinVette.com
  • About SmokinVette.com
  • Corvette Forum
  • Corvette Gallery
  • Corvette Parts
  • Corvette Yellow Pages
SmokinVette.com Forums : Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette Forums : C4 Corvette General Discussion : VATS decoder module issues...
C4 Corvette General Discussion
1984 - 1996 Corvettes

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Default VATS decoder module issues...

Where can I find a new VATS decoder module? None of the usual catalogs seem to have it. I'm guessing this is a dealer only part?

I think mine has gone to seed. I've had a couple of VATS issues in the past where the car wouldnt crank. After taking the key out and letting it sit for a few minutes, the system reset and the car started with no problems. Last night, when I got home I parked the car in front of the garage. about 40 min. later it started to rain, so I went out to move it into the garage. Put the key in and nothing. Let it sit for a few minutes and tried again... nothing. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, fired right up. I moved it in the garage and shut it down. This morning when I went to leave, the car wouldnt start. It cranks just fine, but will not fire at all. Fuel pressure at the rail is good, ignition module, cap, and rotor are new, battery is good. The FSM seems to indicate a faulty VATS decoder module (code 46), but I havent tried to pull a code yet. I'm thinking that last night's episode did something to it, and when I shut it down, something in the module went haywire. Sound right?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
vetteoz
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlevlflyer View Post
Where can I find a new VATS decoder module? None of the usual catalogs seem to have it. I'm guessing this is a dealer only part?
You don't state what year you have so more than likely it is a discontinued item.2nd hand from wrecking yard and then you would need new key to match the decoder.

Test proceedure
http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

Alternative is to bypass

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/rayquayle/vats/vats.htm

http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/
vetteoz is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post
You don't state what year you have so more than likely it is a discontinued item.2nd hand from wrecking yard and then you would need new key to match the decoder.

Test proceedure
http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

Alternative is to bypass

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/rayquayle/vats/vats.htm

http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/
1987. Looks like partsladi on Ebay has a few. Might buy a spare and put it on the shelf, some of this stuff is becoming hard to find.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
don'taskdon'ttell
Smokin 100HP Club

Quote:
1987. Looks like partsladi on Ebay has a few. Might buy a spare and put it on the shelf, some of this stuff is becoming hard to find.
that is what I do, when I have to buy something even if I don't I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal and buy extra parts just in case because it is tough to find alot of this stuff.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
khan2305
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club

Quote:
Good quality?
khan2305 is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan2305 View Post
Good quality?
Talked to them on the phone, the guy said the ones they have are OEM and not aftermarket units.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Okay, got a new VATS module sitting here looking at me. My question is, how do I GET to the old one? I know it's behind the dash, I think on the passenger side, but the FSM doesnt show or tell the procedure of what to disassemble to get to it!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Found the module location and changed them out. DID NOT solve the problem. Engine still cranks but will not fire. I have good fuel pressure at the rail, I've changed out the distributor module, cap, and rotor, and have a brand new ignition key, but still nothing. The day I got the new key cut, I came home, put it in the ignition, and the car started right up. I killed it and tried it again, and it was back to the crank/ no start situation. I do know I am going to have replace the battery tomorrow evening when I get home, as I'm having to keep it on the charger while trying to start the car. The engine cranks over fine when the battery is charged, but could the battery be causing the problem I'm having? I know I read somewhere that the injectors have to have X amount of voltage in order to operate. I have GOT to get this fixed by Sat. or I'm going to be afoot!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
Lowlevlflyer
Smokin 300HP Club

Anybody??
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
vetteoz
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer

There is a min battery volts needed to run car. I would be doing any testing with a fully charged battery to eliminate a low V problem.
Crank and no start indicates that you are not getting the signal to pulse the injectors.
Do you have any current codes?
vetteoz is offline   Send a Private Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Share This Thread
  • Submit Thread to Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to Facebook
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to MySpace
  • Submit Thread to Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Google