Chevy Corvette Forum banner

bubbles in paint

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pleman Oram 
#1 ·
my 74 got bubbles in paint.... i was told that she was painted about 15 years ago.... it looks to be base coat and clear coat... i plan to have her painted in the future but i need to figure out what can be done with these bubbles so it doesn't ruin the paint job

#2 ·
Bubbles in 15 year old paint

I would think the paint shop could handle the bubbles issue when they prep the car for the next paint job. Or are you going to paint your car yourself? I used to work next door to a small body shop 40 years ago, and I know they used various fillers to fill in paint imperfections prior to painting. I suggest you ask a body shop the same question as you asked here.

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my 75. Afriend of mine paints cars for a living.bubbles are comon in fiberglass if the surface was not prepared right. sometimes they strip it with chemicals and the fiberglass acts like a wick .when you paint it the paint looks good then these little pockets evaporate and cause little air bubbles.The only sure cure is strip the car. even using a sealer if a new bubble is created from under the original paint you will see it.If you have someone else do it go to a respectible place. its expensive so you want it done right.
adam

#4 ·
i had the same thing happen, my car was painted 15 yr ago as well and when i bought the car it had what i call herpes. i picked them out and filled them with glazing puddy (very time consuming) then bought a automotive grade sandable primer and filled in the remaining low spots (do not use sandable primer from a can at the auto store it will most likely peel) i plan on shooting the car this month am hoping for the best, but will be doing it myself....

#5 ·
thanks... wouldn't want to paint the car and this happen again ... i wonder if anyone on here have had that problem and corrected it and not have the bubbles come back after some time.. it would be nice to hear from them and how they cured the problem... thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.