Chevy Corvette Forum banner

How to rebuild the LT1 Water Pump.

21K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Anthony Dale Enloe 
#1 ·
Well it is a simple process. I finally found someone who would sell me the seals, bearings etc. Here are some pics, with little write ups.
This is the mechanical seal, which is supposed to stop the weep hole from weeping. And the bearing assembly(Canada *** 151/154 dual bearings already attached to shaft.

First thing is to take 6 cover bolts off to expose impeller.

Then use a punch or whatever you have to get impeller off of shaft(you may need to heat it up), and to somewhat push the shaft bearing assembly out of the bottom.

Once that is done you can tap out the shaft with the bearings useing a light hammer or whatever you want.

Then tap out mechanical seal in the center of the pump and voila, start putting her back together. First put the bearing assembly in from the back of the pump with a light hammer and a 7/8" socket.

Then I put a little, very little RTV on the outside of the mechanical seal and tapped it back in with a 1" socket.
Then put the impeller back on the shaft and use a socket to tap it back to the height it was on the shaft before. NOTE: It may have gotten bent a little (impeller), but you can hit the center and flatten her back.

Once the impeller is back on , put the cover back on with O-Ring supplied with kit.

Done.
here are old bearings and seals.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work, all I can say is that I would be heading straight for the auto store and just buying one, or to the junk yard! Now seeing this, I am confident that I could probably do it myself if I had to! That is what we need more of, detailed discription of how to do it's. It would save us all some money in the long run.:cheers:

#3 ·
Great write-up Need your source for parts

I have a highly modified LT1 pump in my 32 Ford, that needs a rebuild. I have custom upper, heater feed, heater return pipes, plus a plug on another place a pipe used to be, so rebuilding mine is pretty important to me, rather than buying a rebuilt.

Also do you think it would be okay to use a shop press instead of a hammer and drift, as long as I pay attention to what I am pressing?

Could you please email me with your source for the rebuild kit?

nathan_rbuck@yahoo.com

Thanks. Great write-up on the how to.

#4 ·
what is the harmonic balancer thing hanging off of my water pump

I have a 1988 c-4. Can anyone tell me what the huge balancer looking thing is that is hanging off of my waterpump. This thing must weigh about 25 lbs. It is on the outside of the water pump pulley. It seems as if I took it off the engine would perform better but I don't really know what it does so I alittle leary. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#7 ·
Can you tell me where you purchased the kit to rebuild the LT1 water pump, I have one i need to rebuild . you can email me at chuckcreel@hotmail.com thanks
Here you go. His name is Mike, and he sells water pumps etc on ebay.
H2OPUMPMAN1@aol.com
He is kinda standoffish, as he wants to ensure you know what youre doing. But, if nice to him, he will sell you the parts. After that, its easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.