Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Do you hand tighten your oil filter?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Red Magic 
#1 ·
I was just reading another thread hear about oil filters and here's a question to piggy back that one. Do you hand tighten your oil filter or do you use something else to tighten it down?

#2 ·
Oh god... NEVER, EVER, EVER use a tool to tighten your oil filter down. EVER!
Ask Mike (Armyspeedfreek) what happened when he got a K&N "Wrench Off" oil filter and used a wrench to put it on... We literally spent two whole days trying to remove the filter from his car, and it came out in little pieces with a hammer and chiesel. It was one of the most aggravating things I've ever had to work with on a car.

#5 ·
Absolutely!

#10 ·
I always rub a thin coat of oil on the rubber gasket and only hand tighten the filter. Over tightening will cause the rubber gasket to seperate and leak. As Powerlabs said, "NEVER EVER use tools to tighten the oil filter. :doh:

#15 ·
I always use a strap wrench and a long breaker bar to make sure it's good and tight.......:flasher:

#17 ·
Long time a go we had a tough time getting oil filter off a car that had the filter tightened on by a wrench, never would I tighten with a wrench!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.