Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Removing ECU/TPI and installing carb. 1986 C4

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  LT1-84 
#1 ·
1986 C4,
Anyone have any suggestions. Removing ECU and Tpi and installing carb. Would like to Get a holley stealth ram in future. But now carb is in. Distributor and associated items that need to be addressed I like to hear. What rewiring to trans or oil senders etc. Do They have a ECU wiring diagram. just for viewing.

Plus I have a 4+3 Dougy. I am going to install a tremec soon. But may put Dougy back in til monies arrive. Problem Dougy 4+3 dumps second gear on slowdown. Any info. Can I still retain stock distributor or should I upgrade it. Or toss it for A vac advance

#2 ·
Hey man throw us some dyno numbers you get with the stock engine with a carb ive always wondered thx a bunch and good luck !

#3 ·
Why would you need to remove the ecm?

#4 ·
You need a vac. adv. distributor, just unplug F.I. harness & keep it with the TPI, they are still sellable. You are very limited on hood space, you have to run a low intake or cut your hood. My car has a carb, custom hood, if you have any ?s let me know Ill do what I can.

#5 · (Edited)
Distributor and associated items that need to be addressed I like to hear. Can I still retain stock distributor What rewiring to trans or oil senders etc.
Low rise intake (Performer RPM ) and drop base air cleaner clears .Can run any non computer controlled dist
Need bypass fuel regulator to drop EFI pressure down for carb; kep stock pump and lines
Need means of controlling fans ; temp switch in head
Need a manual switch for the 4+3 O/d unit
If you plan on running HSR later can just tuck the unused injector wiring down on top of trans with zip ties

Problem Dougy 4+3 dumps second gear on slowdown. Any info. or should I upgrade it. Or toss it for A vac advance
Most likely the selectors and synchros are worn allowing it to pop out of gear when the load come off

#7 · (Edited)
Not stock any more, New Cam, Hyperte Dome Pistons. etc.

I like the response. Much appreciated. ANy brands.! I am much into a good spark. Plus I got hooker type Headers .They block all spark plugs need to dump it. Any solutioN>

Intend on cutting Hood and adding Scoop. Looks like I need a inch or two.

I did install Performer RPM. Dont know if it low rise type. I verify. Thanks. Motor was built by other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.