Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Problems with bleeding brakes

14K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  talon90 
#1 ·
I just put some new pads in C6 over the weekend and went to bleed the brakes and spent nearly 2 hours trying to bleed these things, and they are still soft! I'm certain this has got to be something small and just over looked on my end, but I can't seem to figure out what I could have missed, everything is pretty much straight forward.

Have you been in situation like this? What did you end up finding was the cause of air in the system?

Actually was just wondering if the master cylinder could have went? That would cause the brakes to be soft still??

#2 ·
We have a local repair Shop that specializes in Corvettes. I had a similar problem that I took the car to them for repair. They told me they used a Motive power bleeder.

He told me that they bleed the brakes with the power to the car off and then they do it again with the car ignition on. The guy also told me to be patient with the rear brakes during non-ignition power bleeding.

Sorry, that's all I know. Good luck.

#5 ·
First, I agree completely with Roger.

Second, are you sure that the technician was following the procedure to bleed CORVETTE brakes? There is a very specific sequence that should be followed because the Corvette uses a split system putting the left front and right rear and right front and left rear on the same hydraulic path to prevent a total failure of either front or rear brakes in the event of a system fault or line damage.

#7 ·
To be honest, as long as you start with the furthest bleeder and work your way around, you will be fine. Generally the furthest bleeder from the master cylinder is the left rear.

Since ABS has been instituted, if you are not bleeding the system with a Tech 2, I have found that a good gravity bleed followed by someone assisting the old fashioned way, pressing on the pedal, WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, will purge the system of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.