Chevy Corvette Forum banner

CAI cold Air Intake for C3 done after 2 years

11K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  pauldana 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone!!!....

I have been working for the past 2 years in making a CAI for my C3 corvette. While i was doing this several members on another site ask me if I would make them one also when i was done... So i had a mold made, and produced 10.... i have 7 spoken for... here is some cut and past of the unit... if anyone is interested pleas let me know...
Finished product:

This is a home made project, not my job... I am a high school teacher...... Below is a cut and past from a few post on my build thread

finished product:

UPDATE 10-10-12.... well, putting together a list of those that want one... I would like to ask that you read this entire post if you want one, and read that this is a home made product and the limitations i give for getting one. If after reading this, and you agree, I will make one for you also.

Raw unit $375 plus shipping , includes front and back intake pieces, and a moroso air cleaner in color of your choice.
For $125 you can have it painted in the color of your choice,clear coated and buffed.
you will also need to buy a hood/radiator seal kit from Wilcox to make this seal properly. you may need to make further modifications to fit your vehicle. this fists mine. i have a 1979 with an RMP manifold, BG carb and 1/4 wood spacer.

Name.......................finish.....................Moroso lid cover color.... paid???
1. PHPD7102 ................ Raw, no paint................Black lid
2. glen242.....................Raw,no paint.................Black lid----------------check from bank
3. SLVRSHRK...................Raw.............................Chrome
4. eagle275.......................raw..........................Black
5. motohead.....................raw...........................Chrome
6. 79ZZ4.......................raw...............................Black

Well, here it is, what do you think? I have a mold, ...thx... and would like any comments... :lurk:

My test unit, this was the 3rd generation of modifications, the 2 pictures above are the 4th generation and final production units.

here are the results of the pressure test....
:rock:and they are POSITIVE!!:rock:​

WITH THE COLD AIR INTAKE ON I HAVE THE FOLLOWING READINGS:

4TH GEAR 1 TO 1
60MPH +.0038 PSI
100MPH +.0081 PSI

5TH GEAR OD
60MPH +.0049 PSI
100MPH +.0109 PSI

NO COLD AIR INTAKE

4TH GEAR
60 MPH -.0001
100 MPH -.0007

5TH GEAR
60 MPH -.0001
100 MPH -.0092

SO, AT 100 MPH IN OD, I HAVE A DIFFERENCE IN PRESSURE BETWEEN THE TWO OF +.0201 PSI !!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT HAVE THE TEMPERATURE GAUGES IN YET, BUT THIS IS WHAT I OBSERVED WHEN I WAS CHANGING OUT A/C.... THE LID AND CAI IT SELF WERE COLD I MEAN REALLY COLD. WHEN I REMOVED THE EDELBROCK THE UNIT WAS WARM AND THE REST OF THE ENGINE BAY....

I ALREADY HAVE A VERY GOOD IDEA HOW THAT TEST WILL GO NEXT...
SO, YES..... WE DO HAVE SOME RAM AIR EFFECT GOING ON!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
the first 2 pictures are the final and completed unit.

thx!!:patriot: was a long path getting here....

the CAI's come in black, grey, white, red and dark red.... the Moroso lids come in Aluminum, chrome, red, black..... so any combination is available until all are spoken for...

#6 ·
I put a l88 hood on the girl and gona go that route, but had seen the first draft of the cai on cf, that thread went large, and hadn't seen the finished product till now. This one looks better, and you might want to pitch it to corvette central, summit and jegs. Looks real good and professional built.

#7 ·
The L88 hood looks :thumbsup3::thumbsup3:

always have love that hood....

yea, it took so long because both my Dad and my little brother passed away in these last 2 years...and that took a lot out of me...

thank you for the complement.. was never thinking of selling them im mass production... just wanted to make a few for those that liked it....and i wanted to be as close to perfect and done as possible for anyone that gets one...so, in my eyes, it is finally good enough to make a few copies for those that would like one..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.