Chevy Corvette Forum banner

C5 Seat Fix?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  REDRAGTOP98 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the forum and this question must have come up before. I am replacing seat foams and covers in my 98. The seats shift about 1 inch on the tracks under braking and acceleration. What do I do to fix this play in the mounting of the seat to the rails?

#5 ·
you need to buy a shim kit from one of our venders here and then check out junkman's DIY pretty easy fix:thumbsup3: and :welcometoourcl
he just copied what others told him to do

#3 ·
Check out the repair kits available from most of the major retailers. I bought one earlier this year for about $30. It came with a little wrench and the shims along with a nice set of instructions. I also had the seats out replacing the covers & foam, so it was a very simple procedure.
Double and triple check your work, because I missed proper placement of one of the little drive shafts, and had to pull out the seat and repeat some of my work.
It's really nice to not have the seat "clunk" all the time.
Good luck...

#4 ·
Its called "rocking seat". You can google C5rocking seat" and you will see the fix options. Since your taking the seat out anyway would be a good time to fix it. The problem is plastic spacers were used and have worn out. Mine rock also and very common problem. you have to buy some steel washers at a hard ware store.

#7 ·
Be advised that some times there is more than one problem with these seat tracks. I have performed the seat track fix to both 2000 corvettes that I have owned and own now. The first corvette just needed the seat tracks repaired the one I own now has had the tracks repaired but still has movement. I have discovered that the tilt motor actuators and mounts also have enough wear to allow movement. If your corvette still has some rocking after you have repaired the tracks readjust the seat to a down and flat position and see if the movement is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.