Chevy Corvette Forum banner

courtesy fuse blows

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Theo 
#1 ·
New to forum so hi to all. 1990 Charcoal Metallic All Original. When I turn on the radio(Bose Gold Cass only)the 15A courtesy fuse blows after a second or 3, the interior lites go out, antenna stops, and no sound from speakers. The radio is still lit and appears to be functional. Any obvious places to start looking? No changes were made to anything, it just happened one day.

#2 ·
New to forum so hi to all. 1990 Charcoal Metallic All Original. When I turn on the radio(Bose Gold Cass only)the 15A courtesy fuse blows after a second or 3, the interior lights go out, antenna stops, and no sound from speakers. The radio is still lit and appears to be functional. Any obvious places to start looking? No changes were made to anything, it just happened one day.

First of all are you sure the fuse you are using is the correct size? And are you using good quality fuses? If so try unplugging your antenna wire and try it again.

#10 ·
Each speaker has its own amplifier at the speaker and supplied with 12vdc. Most probably one of the amps draw too much current. By disconnecting all 4 amps, just take the positive wire off, and then one by one connect and you will find the trouble maker. The other option would be the CDM unit under the passenger side dash board. I would say first go for the amps at the speakers.

#13 ·
What I have done was take the Audi TT amp for speakers, its a dual amp and smaller than your hand palm. It still works the same and so small you can actually put in anywhere under the dash and will drive both front speakers. The sound is better though!
Or like said find the original amp on e-bay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.