Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Bose Amp and Replacement Speakers

38K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Snowweasel 
#1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after an extensive search on previous posts regarding the stock Bose 7 speaker configuration, just changing out the stock speakers (front and rear) with either Polk, JL, Boston Acoustics, Focal, etc., will really not enhance or justify the improvement without replacing the amp and front pancake sub-woofers.

Any positive feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
chris

#2 ·
You can't change the speakers without removing or bypassing the Bose amp. You will run into an impedance problem. You will hear a significant improvement by replacing the radio and your best bet for optimal sound is to yank the bose out and replace radio and speakers. Dennis at DDMods has some great package deals. Hope this helps.

#3 · (Edited)
Chris,

You CAN change out the 3.5" front Speakers with a good aftermarket ones and they will improve the high frequency notes. Some of the guys call them "Twiddlers". A lot of guy over at the corvette forum are doing this. You can replace the rear speakers with 5.25" speakers. Also, consider disconnecting the centre speaker, this will dramatically improve the front stage.

Also, here's a good reference... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/aud...best-drop-in-speakers-for-c6-bose-system.html

I did all of this in the wifes car two years ago and it sounds great. I went with the Infinity Kappa series. The polk DB's are very popular.

#4 ·
WOW!!! I bought the exact same 3.5" speakers that you did and I wasn't at all impressed with the sound. I listen to rock though so maybe that was the difference.
I was so fed up with the Bose system that I finally changed the whole system out. I still used all Infinity except for the sub. JL AUDIO for that.

#6 ·
I recently completed a complete install including new speakers and added two 8" subs
I am happy with the new sound, and it is certainly an improvement. I tried just adding a new HU and single 8" in the back, and unfortunately the Bose system just wasn't keeping up and started cracking and popping, so I decided to just redo it.
Added JVC HU
300 Watt Rockford Fosgate Amp to drive 5.25 component and 6.5 component kicker speakers
500 Watt RF to drive two RF 8" subs.
Lef the center speaker alone and just disconnected, which seems to be the recommendation.

The cost was over $1,000 and took me several weekends to complete by myself in spare time. I did it over the winter when the car is normally off the road anyway.

#8 ·
Yes, I think it's an "all-in" kind of thing.

You can keep the HU or not. But on the rest, you will need - at a minimum - two 6.5 component or coaxial speakers, a four-channel amp and a subwoofer.

The two-channels of the amp will power the set of 6.5" speakers in the doors and the remaining two channels of the amp will be connected to power the subwoofer.

That's about as cheap as it gets.

#9 ·
You can and I have done it:
Because the speaker(s) have the amplifiers on them and the CDM unit the pre-amp module, you can install at the back a separate driver amp to the speakers. Front you will experience space problem and what I used is the Audi TT litlle 2 channel amp smaller than the palm of my hand and quite an output.
So the CDM (under dash passenger side) is the pre-amp and the driver amps are on the speakers depending on your model offcourse.
Works fine with me good sound original look!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.