Chevy Corvette Forum banner

smog pump

6K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  gerryharris89 
#1 ·
how do i remove the smog pump on my 86 vette

#2 ·
Do you plan on removing it or replacing it?

#4 ·
Unbolt the bracket, you'll need the eliminator bracket probably from Ecklers or Mid America.

Take out the tubes on top of the headers. I say cut them off and weld up the holes.

Also, there's a black box that sits under the throttle body. There's a bunch of wires that go to it to activate solinoids. Get rid of all that.

there's a bunch of hoses too that run in and around the t-stat housing and such.

get rid of all that crap. 30 lbs of useless stuff.

It's an easy job, you'll be AMAZED how much crap comes out and how much more room you'll have without it in there.
There's a hard stainless line that goes down to the converter. That will be the hardest thing to deal with.

#6 ·
Do you have the eliminator bracket and pulley?

#7 ·
You don't really need to spend the money on the eliminator bracket. You can gut the smog pump by breaking off the plastic fins inside of it. Reinstall smog pump, and it will work fine as a pulley, provided it spun fine before. I did, works with no probs.

Go to the hardware store and get some nice brass caps to cap off the exhaust manifold tube.

#9 ·
:iagree:Do what he said. I'm tellin' you guys I went through this in the 90's. Don't tear off all the smog crab because the enviro-police will be coming back, and then you'll be hunting all this imposable to find stuff. By pass all the emissions crap but make it appear as though it's still there.

#11 ·
Clean would be nice, but you also have to consider the headaches down the road. I just remember it taking me 5 months to get the TA through inspection. Not only did I have to put everything back, but was written a warning ticket from a "ricky rescue" dot officer for altering the emissions on it. He showed up after I had applied for a 1 year waiver.

I hope I'm wrong.

#12 ·
That's what you get for being honest. You should have said nothing....:D

I'm not for dumping crap into the air, but seriously, this monstrosity has almost NO EFFECT on anything emissions. It's a joke. If they want to sniff my pipes, it's all the same.

#14 ·
That pipe is THICK....

Do you have either an air driven reciprocating saw, like a small saws all? OR one of those handles that accepts a hack saw blade for tight places.

Something like this:

Or

Good luck with that, this is the hardest part.

#17 ·
I agree with "gutting" it, just not removing it. Keep the appearance of being legal.

You'll remember this thread one day when you have to put it all back. That is of course if the dems don't tax us out of these cars. There's an article in one of the corvette magazines online where their talking about taxing cars ( old and new ) by their potential power instead of their epa rated gas mileage.

#22 ·
That IS the EGR. depends on how the Headmans are set up. Could do a block off plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.