Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Realistic Hp gains from Dyno Tune.

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  VetteAholic 
#1 ·
Alright Gents don't give me **** for asking this :D

The reason I am asking is because the threads that I have searched up tell the person that it's either not worth the money on stock motor or first mod then tune, etc etc.

Well, hell the question was what are the HP GAINS!?!?! Nothing else.

I took my C4 to the Dyno other weekend, 1992, 167k miles to the motor. Current mods: CAI (Cold air intake), Factory exhaust manifolds Catless, X-pipe, Borla Stingers. 52mm BBK TB. 26LB HR injectors (+2LB HR over stock)

3 dyno pulls, my C4 made 242 RWHP and 272 RWTQ. ( I was hoping a bit more but oh well)

I have 2 shops that can perform a dyno tune and I will be getting a deal from them due to sponsoring a Corvette club I'm in.
So I'm asking "What is a realistic RWHP gain from a tune based on the mods that I listed"?

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
There was certainly no gain by using the 52mm throttle body as the stock throttle body will flow all the air your stock engine can possibly consume. And you're likely running too rich because of the higher flow rate of the injectors unless you dropped your fuel pressure to compensate for them.

I would think a skilled tuner could give you a lot more power after running a few tests.

#3 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about swapping out the BBK over to the stock one, I still have it.

I would have thought I was running rich, turns out the dyno test came out opposite of that, I was running a bit lean. I'm not really informed with some of those numbers that printed out. For example my A/F ratio says here: (LAMBDA) 1.234.

#6 ·
i agree the TB is no gain. Your better off throwing the old one back on.
The injectors are larger... If you've made no adjustments to your tune to compensate for those then you probably will be running rich.
These bolts on are hurting you.
I can't remember what the hp/tq numbers are on a 92... but I do believe your in line with what you got. Those mod's imo have no given you much gain at all.

#7 ·
i agree the TB is no gain. Your better off throwing the old one back on.
The injectors are larger... If you've made no adjustments to your tune to compensate for those then you probably will be running rich.
These bolts on are hurting you.
I can't remember what the hp/tq numbers are on a 92... but I do believe your in line with what you got. Those mod's imo have not given you much gain at all.

I have never known of a single instance in which any of the car or truck manufacturers used carburetors or throttle bodies that were sized too small for the breathing capabilities of the engine. Same goes for injectors as the stock injectors can easily flow more than enough at the recommended pressures. In the CrossFire days it was found the stock in-tank fuel pumps couldn't maintain enough pressure after about 3000 rpm but that was corrected in the '85's and up when better constructed higher-amperage pumps were used.

#10 ·
And I still don't see an answer to my question LOL :abduct:

Long tubes are on the to do list.

#12 ·
I should of been more clear with my question, I would of taken estimates lol.

20-30 sounds good to me :), thanks FS.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead but I said I'd keep an update on my tune. I bought the kit from Tuner cat. A buddy of mine figured out how to tune it, we made progress( tuned fans to come on at cooler temps and the fuel cutoff RPM limit) Right when the optispark started acting up!!!.....I said to hell with it and ditched the tune, I am selling the C4. I have the entire kit, practically new. Anyone interested PM me, it will be up for sale if the right buyer comes along. IT IS FOR THE 1992 LT-1 CORVETTE. You just have to find someone that can work the program and dedicate the time to tune it.

I spent somewhere around $400 bucks for this Pro tuning kit, you can see the info here: http://www.tunercat.com/ then look for OBDI Pro Tuning Kits(Comes with everything you see there). I have the paper that' ll allow you to log in, though to activate the program you may need additional setup/purchase which is out of my read, I may be wrong.

I will be willing to let it go for $200 free shipping, PAYPAL payment only. If interested PM me.(SOLD)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.