Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Top Speed??

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Wingnut 
#1 ·
I was approached with an interesting computer question the other day,and not knowing the ins & outs of C4's computer all that well I decided to pose the question here.
Is the top speed a Vette was ever driven saved in the computer's memory, and is there a way to retrieve it?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Not sure on a C4, but I highly doubt it, especially in the obd 1 C4, which accounts for all of them until the '96 model. I believe newer cars have the 'black box' that does record info, but I think that is limited to instances of a crash or airbag deployment. The interesting thing is whether a program like an onstar equipped vehicle would keep information such as that. I don't believe that as a third party they would be required to provide that unless there was an accident.

#3 ·
From what I read them black boxes keep a bunch of engine metrics.Along with braking and collision.And the onstar thing to me is very intrusive.Yes it can be a safety option but most of us carry cell phones that dont record your car.

#4 ·
the onstar thing to me is very intrusive.Yes it can be a safety option but most of us carry cell phones that dont record your car.
:iagree:
I like the Howie Long commercials for Chevy where they play up the cell phone thing by saying, 'oops, there goes the cell phone and you're upside down from a rollover'. I don't like the idea of being recorded either, with such data subject to overview by someone who may not be competent, but yet make decisions that can forever change someones life.

#6 ·
Top speed

Actually this question stemmed from a conversation from a Vette buyer's perspective. It would be a great negotiating tool to be able to scan a computer of a vette that is up for sale and marketed as being "BABIED" and find out it was run up to 150-160 mph.

#7 ·
Actually this question stemmed from a conversation from a Vette buyer's perspective. It would be a great negotiating tool to be able to scan a computer of a vette that is up for sale and marketed as being "BABIED" and find out it was run up to 150-160 mph.
I see you point. But the last guy that told me he Babied his Vette raced cars for living. "Can you say Liar" But then I do not babied my Vette, and I will bet I may never get to 150mph. If you could tell how high the engines been tacked up might tell you more.

#8 ·
Top speed

The guy who raced cars for a living probably DID "baby" his vette and respected the rules of the road and racetrack like many, if not all, professional drivers do. I agree with you having access to the engine rev log would be great tool too, if the rev limiter, fuel cutoff, were bypassed or programmed out then it would give you some insight on the motor history. Other than that it would not be an advantage.
As far as calling someone a liar, nobody likes being "taken" and when push comes to shove the word "liar" is pretty tame these days.

#9 ·
That would make for an interesting tool, but because someone attempted top speed doesn't indicate a hard run car, unless their constantly doing this. I do know people that have raced cars most of their life, and have other toys such as a Vette, and do baby that car. Each of you bring up good points.

I personally don't race on the road. Too dangerous. But I would be interested in something like Bonneville, just to see what the top speed was. That is a controlled environment, much like the track.

#13 ·
Top speed

Years ago I had a 63 roadster,327-300,3:36 gears and I got out on the highway and opened it up to 142 mph. This was a nice quiet Sunday morn 1970 no traffic with a wide open road. Can't do this on the same road today,too much traffic most of the time. The 142 mph was just about all that Vette would do. I don't think I could bury it @ 160. Maybe if I had 3:08 gears or a 340+ hp engine I could have done it.
I know this a little off message but I thought I would add it anyway.

#15 ·
I will , Nevada , about 10 years ago

#16 ·
Eltee I know what you mean 95 is a parknig lot these days. I remember the day also My 57 Ford fairlane did 120 speedo was bouncing. I had a 312 T Bird Special three speed with OD and DUEL QUADS it was factory R Code . Tail pipes wer flat on the bottom. Loved that car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.