Chevy Corvette Forum banner

My 1982 project

17K views 93 replies 13 participants last post by  vette82forme 
#1 ·
Hi, I just wanted to start a thread on this new project I am going to start. It is a 1982 convertible and I will be transferring suspension and drivetrain parts from a 1990 donor corvette to it.

The only body modifications are going to be of course the convertible part of it but also a L88 hood I am making.

rims style is not yet chosen, however I have been thinking about 17" Z06 replicas.

Drivetrain will be a 1990 L-98 with 700r4 and dana36.

Brakes will be J55 and possibly integrating the ABS and airbag to this 82.

I have also been pondering with replacing the stock a/c controls with the 90's climate control.

For cooling system I thought about trying to make the 90's cooling capsule fit the car, this way all underhood 90 stuff is in the 82.

guess I need 10 posts to post links and will do that when I reach that.

See less See more
#4 ·
basically thought about taking my frame and nuilding a jig, then cut off the frame just behind the motor mounts and then weld in 4x3 rectangular structural steel. Then weld in the 90 vette front cradle.

The black areas representing grafted in 4x3 rectangular steel & the blue representing the square c4 front cross brace.

then take c4 cradle and weld to the ne frame rails.

in short recreating this

#7 ·
There weren't any 1982 convertibles. Just coupes. There was a collector's edition with a lift-up rear window and special wheels but no convertibles.

And all of the 1982's came with the CrossFire Injection and TH700R4 automatic transmissions and all had 2.87 rear axles.
This one was converted with 75 factory parts and it has the cfi 700r4 combination.

#16 ·
For any of you interested in a serpentine belt drive system in your C3. A C4 system fits perfectly and you can run a smog pump as well. This is a 84 driverside setup and a 85-87 passenger side setup. There are no clearance issues whatsoever.

I like the power steering reservoir location over the 85-up since it is easy to access on the 84 model.

However this will be sold since I am going to be putting my 90 vette engine in the car and will run all it's accessories.

#18 ·
I just saw a add in south fl crigslist for a parts car that had a big hood like that you could probably buy

You did good on those gauges $35 really did they have any more :) and the rear bumper mold awesome. they sell conversion brackets for your LS motor to the old style SBC engine brackets I don't know if I cut that front cross member out consider how that show is made mite just tack weld what ever brackets you need to the original cross member.

I love those old removable hard convertible tops not allot around here . they just have a little bit meaner look to them will be a awesome car when your done

#19 ·
Progress has been slow. I have stripped my 1990 donor vette now and just have to cut off the halo and rear 1/4 panels, cut up the hood and cut up the windshield frame.

I so far have the whole floor section and firewall cut out. So there is very little to do before work starts on my 82.

#22 ·
:thumbsup3::coffeetime:

#23 ·
These are all my other suspension parts. I just need to find a dana36 differential and batwing now. I got all my spare suspension stuff from a 500.00 90 parts vette I bought and from it I sold the dana44 for 650.00 so basically got tall this for free. So I will polish all this and have new bushings installed so it is all ready for my 82 vette. I will just use the 90 vettes suspension that I just cut up for mocking up the suspension swap on my 82 so none of this gets damaged.

I also have J55 calipers and rear calipers that will also be polished.

#24 ·
Here is a 20 minute test on one of my lower a-arms. You will never get these perfect simple as that as they probably have gouges and such. This is after just quik 220 grit sanding and emery. All I am looking for is shininess since this will be a street driven car and show shines would be way to much work to keep up.

#29 · (Edited)
How what doesn't rust?

If you notice this is all C4 corvette suspension so it is all aluminum. I believe my start of the thread included all the 82 suspension will be removed and a C4 suspension swap is going to be done. Both for lighter weight and superior handling and a nice chrome like shine on all it's suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.