Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Key Fobs, old vs new

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Pat123 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone, I've searched the forums on this one and haven't found any similar posts so here it goes.
I have a 2006 with the older style key fob. I like the newer ones that have the spare key stored inside the fob. If I order a newer one will it program and work with my car? I'm assuming no, but just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this idea. Thanks for any info.

#6 ·
another thing you may not be aware of is that the newer style FOB is designed to be place into a slot in the glove box and be recharged if the FOB goes dead and the car cant be started....

#9 ·
No, it does not recharge the FOB. It just basically places it right next to the sensor so that it can be read with low battery power in the FOB. You will still need to replace the battery soon, you only get like 5 or 6 starts using the slot in the glove box.

#7 ·
I could be wrong but I dont think the new ones will work with the '05 and '06 Vettes. They were suppose to start using those key fobs in '07 but they didnt come out until the '08 model but the '07 can still use them. :cheers:

#10 ·
Good morning everyone, I've searched the forums on this one and haven't found any similar posts so here it goes.
I have a 2006 with the older style key fob. I like the newer ones that have the spare key stored inside the fob. If I order a newer one will it program and work with my car? I'm assuming no, but just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this idea. Thanks for any info.
You can buy a new FOB for about $60,000.00 that is guarantted to work!
BTW, a new Vette comes with that for free.
:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I have talked with the service and parts dept. at four different Chevrolet dealers and not one could tell me if this could be done. I also called Dallas Corvette and they could not tell me if the older FOB's could be swapped with the new style FOB. I can not see why this would not work.

#12 ·
From another Vette forum.

||--2008 Keys & FOB’s--||

08fob1 - #1 Key FOB – 102.00
08fob2 - #2 Key FOB – 102.00

There seems to be confusion as far as what the FOB comes with. As you can see in the picture below you have the black part of the FOB and then the silver part. The silver part of the FOB is actually the key and it DOES NOT come with the FOB!

25995382 – 2008 Key (Does not come with FOB) – 44.38

FOB’s do work from ’05-’07 vehicles, slot in the glove box works.

Note: The 08 key blank is not as wide as the 07 key blank. With that said, the 08 key will not work in your 07 if your key code (cuts) contains any cuts with a #1 in the code. We don’t provide or retrieve key codes for customers who are not local to us. If you are unsure if your key has a #1 in the code please contact your dealer. On a visual note, you can tell if the key has a #1 cut in it if any of the cuts are as wide as the shaft of the key. Those are #1 cuts.

‘08 keys work in ‘07 locks, just need the new key traced. ’05 & ’06 customers will need to purchase a new lock set to use the new key. You can purchase a lock set for the rear compartment and glove box, with new keys for the locks. Use the following part numbers below for those kits.

25865471 – 154.52 (Coupes only)
25865472 – 162.59 (Convertibles & Z06's)

Refer to the owner’s manual for programming procedure.

#13 ·
The 2008 fob will program and operate just fine with the 2005-2007 Corvettes. The problem will not be with the fob however, it will be with the key. The lock cylinder and glove box lock are not designed to work with the new style key and both would need to be replaced in order to use the new integrated key. The only way to use the new key is to replace the hatch/trunk lock cylinder and the glovebox lock cylinder. Since the new key was originally planned to be implemented in 2007, the new style key will work with the 2007 Corvette with no change. Only the 2005 and 2006 lock cylinders will need to be changed.

Regarding the backup antenna location in the glovebox, the new fob will work just fine. As noted, this does not charge the fob, it uses inductance to excite the fob and allow the fob to operate with a dead battery when you would otherwise not be able to start the car if your fob battery has died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.