Chevy Corvette Forum banner

C-6 Center Console Heat

11K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Bucwheat 
#1 ·
Has anyone had heat in the center console? Mine seems to be kinda hot???

#4 ·
Common complaint. No keeping an energy car or candy bar in the center console. Ideal is to pull up the carpet and console and add insulation like Bucwheat suggests. I have an insulated tunnel plate from elite engineering that helps defer the onset of the problem. I also have an insulating strip that fits in the console. Got it from one of the vendors on here, I think.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the same set up as you with the insulated tunnel plate and console/cupholders insulation strips and there is a big difference in the amount of heat getting into the console area and cabin. I'm guessing 40-50* lower in hotter weather. Top Flight Reproductions has the console and cupholder insulation pieces.
While the full insulation might be optimal, I didn't want to go to the trouble of having to pull apart the interior to put in the Dynamat-like material.

#7 ·
#9 ·
The only two problems I have with mine are the heat in the console and the navigation. (display in the sunlight, convertible, and the confusion that they placed in this unit that you're supposed to use while you're driving !!!!! A Garmin stick-on is much simpler.

#10 ·
I bought a Porsche instead

Ok, here's my story, waited 45 years (had to put 3 son's thru college) before I could buy my Corvette. So I buy a 2013 GS Coupe , manual trans, sports exhaust nothing fancy. Paid when all said and done $52 k. Ok, so now anytime I take a ride longer than 45 minutes it feels like my right leg is on fire. Console heat was so bad on leg I had to use a towel between seat and console, was running the A/C in November ! Called dealer what a joke, never heard of that problem he says, so I have local shop install dynomat on bridge tunnel, resulting heat loss = zero.....worthless money down the drain. Anyway bottom line is I dumped the car with 1600 miles on it bought a Porsche which is better made, faster and handles like a dream. For you guys who say tear up the interior and install a heat reduction kit....are you kidding me? It's an insult to all of us that Chevrolet has gotten away with this all these years, poor engineering plain and simple......oh and yeah for the record I am a muscle car guy going back to age 18......had a couple of GTO's....

#11 ·
A little extreme swapping cars for a little heat don't ya think,bet you took a beating doing that. I have a new 2012 Grand Sport and I did the same thing to it pulled the console and used peel and seal ,that along with several coats of under coating around the tunnel and it did help,I honestly don't think it's as bad as the C-5 heat problem.

#12 ·
supposedly the C7 will better.

NY Mike, I'm surprised in November that you had problems. Makes me wonder if there was something else wrong. In the winter I've driven the car for extended periods with no issue. Its radiant heat and I like it beater than warm air blowing on me, but it sucks bad in the warm weather. Kinda funny that you had heat as a complaint and post in this afterwards, rather than trying the insulation specifically made for heat.

I'm glad you like your Porsche. I'm curious to know what you bought for around the $52k you spent on the vette. I like Porsches and they feel like they're on rails in cornering and the interior is a definite upgrade. Took me a little while to get use to the body roll in a vette in turns. Glad I have the G meter. I used it to learn how much harder I could push the car. I doubt your Porsche is capable of beating a vette by much when both cars are driven properly, but it is easier to jump into a Porsche and drive it hard in turns. As for it being faster than a vette, that's down right silly. You don't get a lot of Porsche HP for under $60k. A Cayman S is no match for a vette in a straight line. The 911s are quick, but in that price range, it lines up against a Z06 or ZR1 depending upon model.

#13 ·
Let me clarify

Hi guys appreciate the comments.... let me elaborate......as for dumping the Vette for a Porsche my Irish Temper had kicked in about the heat issue and yes I could afford to do the deal, ended up getting what I paid for the Vette in trade so I didn't lose any $......as for my comments about speed and handling of course straight line acceleration the Vette will win because of brute force but once the Porsche hits the corners it's no contest on which is a better car. A Carrera S will get up and go pretty darn fast without any concerns about keeping the car straight or having a heavy front end.....it's like everything else I buy, I try to purchase USA stuff but find myself constantly going the European route as in cars and motorcycles. For some reason their attention to build quality and OVERALL performance is just what I like. I can't begin to tell you how disappointing this whole ordeal has been and again as I said previously I'll be darned if I'm going to pay that kind of money and have to turn around and rip out the interior to add some additional insulation. It's just a matter of principal.

#16 ·
Hi guys appreciate the comments.... let me elaborate......as for dumping the Vette for a Porsche my Irish Temper had kicked in about the heat issue and yes I could afford to do the deal, ended up getting what I paid for the Vette in trade so I didn't lose any $......as for my comments about speed and handling of course straight line acceleration the Vette will win because of brute force but once the Porsche hits the corners it's no contest on which is a better car. A Carrera S will get up and go pretty darn fast without any concerns about keeping the car straight or having a heavy front end.....it's like everything else I buy, I try to purchase USA stuff but find myself constantly going the European route as in cars and motorcycles. For some reason their attention to build quality and OVERALL performance is just what I like. I can't begin to tell you how disappointing this whole ordeal has been and again as I said previously I'll be darned if I'm going to pay that kind of money and have to turn around and rip out the interior to add some additional insulation. It's just a matter of principal.
Put it up against a Grand sport or ZO6 and the Porsche don't have a chance.

#14 · (Edited)
dude, you are comparing a $52K car with a $90K car..[and you couldn t pay someone a hundred bucks to insulate the console for you ? really?] and even then, the Corvette still has more horsepower and is faster.....compare the Carrera to a Z06 , in the same price range now, and the Carrera S loses big time...sorry you were so disappointed with the car.. but believe me when I say, you are probably the only one ..but, good luck with the Porsche

#15 · (Edited)
911S is a sweet car. Glad your happy.

One last thought, the "heavy front end" of the vette results in a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. The front weight issue is no different than Porsche battling the problems of the 911 being tail happy. Both cars use better design and electronics to overcome issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.