Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Daily Driven 10 Second Set-UP's

21K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  fishslayer143@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
Its Becoming more and more evident, some of the elite have 10sec daily drivers. And if you dont have at least a 10.5sec machine, in most cases you dont deserve to be in a racers circle of conversation these days. so post your 10sec setup..... or waht you think may be a 10sec setup...

#3 ·
Mine is not. A slightly bigger cam and drag radials and it could get into the 10s in good DA, but maybe not in July. For NA, you need around 480 RWHP to do it in good weather and above average skill with an M6. For an A6, that same set-up needs a 3200 stall.

10s are about traction and skill if you have the M6. A couple people have put a stock C6 Z06 with nothing other than drag radials in the 10s at MIR on low DA days.

Mid 10s for a base C6 is a paxton blower kit, headers, and a set of drag radials. 600 RWHP and drives like a champ. Maybe add a Z06 or Dewitts radiator if you live in an ubber hot climate. Z06 with a cam & headers will get there too.

#4 ·
Mid 10s for a base C6 is a paxton blower kit, headers, and a set of drag radials.
This is currently where I'm at, but with a vert, I'm not allowed to run on tracks to check my times. I plan to get a few credible apps this summer that are exact to within 1/10 of a second. Currently she's under the knife for more upgrades though, we're estimating between 800-900 rwhp.

To say that because a car isn't a 10 second car and shouldn't be involved in racing circles doesn't make any sense at all to me. I've seen lots of high hp cars lose due to loss of traction, parts breakage, driver skill...which includes many get'n beat on the Tree.

I'm sure that someday soon, a 9 second street car will be the mark. I imagine that will be really tough without a big increase in tire and suspension technology. I'm still a nooby when it comes to racing, so I'm sure that more experienced folk could weigh-in with more credible info.

#6 ·
Personally, I think #'s are all relavent. Like my mom used to say, "there's always someone bigger and badder". If you can live with that, then you can keep ALL things in life in perspective.

#7 ·
quite true, there is always a faster gun in town ..chasing that ET clock with a daily driver is a fools errand, unless your credit card has no limit , then by all means ,go for it....and no offense to Ragtop, but 480 HP ain t gonna run a 10.0 ET ..Hendrick Motors had an 09 ZR-1 , dyno d 571 RWHP...ran a 10.95 ET .. it takes power and traction and skill, to drag 3300 lbs , a 1/4 mile in 10.0 seconds ...and without a fully approved cage , you won t get on any track to find out anyway.. just my opinion of course..

#10 ·
Let's break this down. Maybe we're not so far apart.
10.0 is a long way way from from being in the 10s. 10.0 is a lot more power than 10.9. 10.0 in a manual is real skill. The launch and 1-2 shift take a lot of practice. I never said 480 RWHP would get you 10.0. A car capable to 10s doesn't mean the average person can drive it into the 10s. If the standard is having an old lady jump in the car and run 10s, I agree those are hard to find.

We both agree that it takes traction and skill to get the launch down. There are 9 guys who have put a stock Z06 (~450 RWHP) with Drag Radials under 11.0. Sure it was in good DA, but that's in the 10s. I've been there when its been done. I couldn't do it, but I'm an average M6 driver.

Its harder to find a lot of ZR1 drivers that drag race and have the practice to launch that car. There are bone stock ones in the 10s. Add DRs and the bests drop under 10.5.

It's a lot easier to go 10s with an automatic. A high stall converter and some DRs make it easy to get hard launches. I was faster at the track with my heavier and lower HP Camaro then I am in my lighter and much higher HP vette. The camaro with 3500 stall and DR was a snap to launch and drove fine on the street. If 1/4 mile time was main goal, I would have bought the A6. A 3200 stall in the vette is very common in daily drivers and will drop the car into the mid 11s with a set of headers and decent street tires or DRs.

#8 ·
I know folks with 10 sec. cars
I know folks with DD's
they don't overlap much :food-smiley-019:

#12 ·
10.00 to 10.99 IS a 10 sec car.

#14 ·
then we are widening the field, big difference in 10.99 and 10.0 ....but , you know ,even a 10.99 in a daily driver is not a common find ... lots of people claim it, few can do it in reality
and a bigger difference between a 5.00 and a 5.99
the lower the seconds the more $$$$$
and

I agree and I agree......

#16 ·
My 08-z06 is only 521 rw now but my lower end is starting soon ross 10-1 calles ultra rods and magnum crank for a F1 procharger in the 10lb range. Im hoping for close to 800 rw. In april before H/C stock was 421 on mustang dyno. On 6/1 im signed up for a 1/2 mi. run. 345/30/19 psc. 285/35/18 pss front. Im working up to a 1/4 mi.try. (vette tube 2008 Z06 Modified)

#20 ·
Good luck and let us know how you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.