SmokinVette.com Forums

SmokinVette.com Forums (http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/index.php)
-   Corvette Audio (http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Front Upper Dash Speakers 85 C4 Bose (http://www.smokinvette.com/corvetteforum/showthread.php?t=50900)

wildbill85 02-28-2011 10:45 AM

Front Upper Dash Speakers 85 C4 Bose

Hi, maybe someone can help me out. I am going to replace the dash on a 85 C4 That I purchased. When doing so I thought I would check out why the dash speakers are not working,but I saw a post that the 85 c4 has no speakers in the upper dash. That these are just blanks. Is that true or was that just a option. I have a upgraded delco bose radio that works with the bose speakers but I would like it install dash speakers. I have looked everywhere for the dash speakers. My question is will any bose delco speakers work for the upper dash speakers as long they are the right size and if someone would know what size I need for the blanks,or if anyone would know where I could find these speakers at. Please help. Thanks.Bill

rpb5329 02-28-2011 03:38 PM

I have an 87 and thought i had dash speakers . Bought dash speakers from dennis at ddmods and when i took dash out found that they were just blanks. I just cut out the blanks and installed new speakers. Give dennis a call he can help you out.
take care
robbie

Nothingbeatsavette 05-23-2011 07:35 PM

There's nothing there but about any 4x6 should fit, then you just have to run the wires for them which isn't a big deal with the dash off anyway.

m.martince 10-26-2011 02:01 PM

I have an 86 and I also cut out the Blank spaces with a dremel and installed some 4X6 speakers. Oh Man the sound is so different. Stop reading and Git er Done!!!

CorvetteArchives 01-02-2012 09:18 PM

I'd like to point out that:
yes any 4x6 speaker should fit.

My 84 has mounting holes for the speakers...so I dont think you'd need to drill anything if you find early grills. I guess GM changed them at some point so some of you have to drill?

:seeya:

CodeGnome 03-26-2012 09:48 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly are you cutting the blanks. I pulled my dash out of my '84 to see how difficult it would be to install speakers. I have come to the conclusion that they have to be installed from the top as there is enough room to reinstall the dashboard with speakers attached to the underside. I would like to install dash speakers, but want to maintain the stock look. Any help, and pics, would be appreciated.

Whiteshadow89158 03-27-2012 06:23 AM

I'm not sure what the c4 dash looks like but if you have to cut out blanks, I would use a Dremel. Fast and clean

Nothingbeatsavette 05-09-2012 12:54 PM

I put a whole new stereo in an '84 with the Bose several years ago. I put 4x6s in the dash, round 4"s in the doors and 6x9s in the hatch. Sounded great and everything was behind the stock grilles. I just put the 4x6s under the dash without cutting out anything on the pad. The only way you could tell I'd done anything was the new cd player and the way it sounded.

bmr5100 05-29-2012 04:58 PM

ridicc