Chevy Corvette Forum banner

intake systems

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  C6RaceCar 
#1 ·
is there a difference between the k&n intake system and the airraid system?

#2 ·
Not sure what the difference is. If Vararam is not option, I'd look at the Halltech intake with beehive. For a non-bottom feeder, that system seems to work well.

For LS3 cars, there is more of a debate over whether any aftermarket unit is more effective than stock, if the car has been tuned to reduce the sensitivity of the IAT v. Timing table.

#4 ·
IIRC, the GS has basically have the same fresh air intake set-up as the Z06. You're not going to see a lot of return on investment by changing that out.

#5 ·
I am just curious. Aren't all of these aftermarket systems less restrictive than stock? I always thought getting more air into the motor was a good thing. I realize you don't gain much hp. without other mods, but don't these systems help make the motor breathe better? Thanks in advance.

#6 · (Edited)
The LS2 intake system is restrictive. There is a good gain on 2005 - 2007 vettes from both a cold air system and an intake manifold swap. The LS3 intake, filter, and manifold are much better designed.

Most of the advantage from aftermarket cold air intakes on the LS3 come from the fact that engine bay air gets warm when the car is sitting still at the drag strip. Warm air causes the timing to be retarded which kills power. Bottom feeders like the Vararam pull in air from outside the engine bay and result in the car not pulling timing. The stock LS3 tune is very aggressive at pulling timing starting at ~86* air temp (3* at WOT). Most tuners raise the temp and reduce the initial amount of timing pulled. I don't pull any timing until 104* and only 1* which is still more conservative than some tuners. Point being is that most tuned LS3's are less sensitive to the engine air temp off the line than stock. On the road, the stock system temps generally drop down within a couple degrees of aftermarket, negating most of the value.

As much as I want to believe in the ram air effect, even at 100 MPH, guys tacking manifold kPa are not seeing any changes in pressure according to the car's MAP sensor. If you're not going to tune the car and do race from a stop, a bottom feeder will make the car quicker. Even on a tune car there can be some gain if the car sits still at a long light as engine bay air temps will climb. Point is the gain is coming from colder air rather than removing a restriction.

#10 ·
Callaway Honker is good stuff, but I haven't seen any one switch to Callaway and gain more than a Vararam at the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.