Chevy Corvette Forum banner

Need more cool air in the cabin, would this work?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lethal Tendencies 
#1 ·
My 70 coupe had air con originally, but now pretty much all that's left of it are the console controls. I was toying with the idea of connecting the dash vents (the ducts are missing) to where the vents are in the kick panels in a non air con car. Would this work? There are no holes in the inner guards at present but I cant see too many issues in putting in a couple. The air could be controlled by the dash vents, would I need inline fans as well? Resurrecting the air con would be way outside my budget from what I've seen of the parts pricing.

#3 ·
I installed shut off valves on the heater hoses to stop any transfer of heat to the heater core. It made a big difference in keeping the cabin cooler. I also thermal insulated inside the cabin thoughout, and also outside the transmission tunnel, and firewall. Here's a pick where you can see the shut off valves. I installed brass ball valves and used red Plasti Dip on the handles to keep with the red theme under the hood.

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys,see that's the thing, this car has no vents in the kick panels, the front clip has been replaced by the PO and the new one has nothing there hence my idea to put holes in the inside and connect to the dash vents with flexible tube. There are no shutoff valves vacuum or otherwise in the heater circuit that I can find. I'm thinking of pulling the heater blower out to see if there is any air getting to it from outside because even when the blower is running flat out it doesn't blow very much at all. I have read somewhere that the blower didn't have a lot of blow even when new? There are two vac hoses that have been cut from the heater control in the centre console, one white stripe, one green stripe, I believe that I should be able to put a vac operated water valve on the firewall and control the hot water this way, I see in a post that you can get one for a Buick for a few dollars that looks perfect for the job. If anyone's thinking this is all a bit "bubbaish" This car although very tidy is a long way from a matching numbers one so I am more interested in making it a pleasurable driver than doing a restoration.

#7 ·
Back in the day I owned may cars that did not have AC. That is why side windows can be lowered, and it works. Put your window down and cool off. Try that instead of messing your car up more.......

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I have always liked the little crank-open "vent" windows. By simply opening those windows a little bit the air circulation inside was terrific. So I really hated to see them discontinued...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.