Does this really do what it says? any negatives after it's installed? [Archive] - SmokinVette.com Forums

: Does this really do what it says? any negatives after it's installed?

BIZZLE0905
10-17-2010, 07:45 PM
One upgrade I been looking into is a new intake. I can only find one that is for c4's from 84-89 (mine being 86') and it says it promises 22hp increase and some other stuff but I was wondering has anyone installed this on theirs? is there anything negative that comes from installing it like killing ur gas mileage beyond reasonable or something? and if u have installed it, what looks better clear or black?

Thanks, Bobby

Link to the Item
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-cold-air-system-with-black-cover-bpp-vortex-rammer-1985-1989.html

95vette
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Not worth $270 in my opinion.

BIZZLE0905
10-17-2010, 08:12 PM
do u know of any other options for an 86? I have looked all over but this seems to be it. I found this but I doubt it would fit in a 86 even with mods
http://www.corvetteguys.com/c4-slp-cold-air-induction.html

vetteoz
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Not worth $270 in my opinion.
:iagree:
Better to put $270 towards a set of long tube headers that are proven to work

VetteAholic
10-18-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm thinking about buying one of those intakes in the future for my 92'. Sure I think the price is a bit much....most of those Corvette magazines are a rip off with some of the products. I like the fact that it draws air from the outside though. Not sure about the 22 HP gain, but for sure it's got to be better than the stock unit.

InjectorsPlus
10-18-2010, 05:17 AM
3.5 tenths for $270.

IT'S A JOKE!

think about it, the claims are completely in contrast.

22HP=3.5 tenths?

No, you won't pick up anything..save your money.

Maybe my next project is a custom intake... I'll just make one. If I can get $270 per, hell, I'll build them all day long..:D

robs1988
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM

3.5 tenths for $270.

IT'S A JOKE!

22HP=3.5 tenths?

Maybe my next project is a custom intake... I'll just make one. If I can get $270 per, hell, I'll build them all day long..:D

Agree.
Stick with the proven things.
Cars that would see an improvement of 22 hp/3.5 tenths from this part are already stupid fast and that was the final part to the build after doing the motor. Not a stock one.
Of course, that's the part that is always left out of the ad.

500hp406
10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
One upgrade I been looking into is a new intake. I can only find one that is for c4's from 84-89 (mine being 86') and it says it promises 22hp increase and some other stuff but I was wondering has anyone installed this on theirs? is there anything negative that comes from installing it like killing ur gas mileage beyond reasonable or something? and if u have installed it, what looks better clear or black?

Thanks, Bobby
Link to the Item
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-cold-air-system-with-black-cover-bpp-vortex-rammer-1985-1989.html

Put the money in a piggy bank and buy a mini-ram:

Theo
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

I agree!!!

rcsrich
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Why don't you build your own cold air system?
I haven't built one for my vette yet, (to busy with other projects) but I built one for the race truck out of SS, insulation, & metal tape.
I even put the MSD box in there to keep it cool also. Ill try & put pictures up, but I normally have so much trouble doing it, that I give up.
Rich

vetteoz
10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
. I like the fact that it draws air from the outside though. Not sure about the 22 HP gain, but for sure it's got to be better than the stock unit.
As I have stated many times before
The science behind most " bolt on 50Hp " items is correct.The reality may be different.
Cool air into a engine works but you can probably do it cheaper.Not withstanding on a C4 you are picking up low level air from the road surface which is going to be a lot hotter ( in summer time ) than air flowing into a hood scoop
Ram air works also BUT you need to be going 150+ MPH for it to show any gain

Marv02
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I help you build them I have O max water jet to cut the parts out.

{QUOTE=InjectorsPlus;549454]3.5 tenths for $270.

IT'S A JOKE!

22HP=3.5 tenths?

Maybe my next project is a custom intake... I'll just make one. If I can get $270 per, hell, I'll build them all day long..:D[/QUOTE]

VetteAholic
10-18-2010, 08:38 PM
As I have stated many times before
The science behind most " bolt on 50Hp " items is correct.The reality may be different.
Cool air into a engine works but you can probably do it cheaper.Not withstanding on a C4 you are picking up low level air from the road surface which is going to be a lot hotter ( in summer time ) than air flowing into a hood scoop
Ram air works also BUT you need to be going 150+ MPH for it to show any gain

I would love to read what suggestions you have to drawing cooler air into your intake( a little step up from the stock unit, if any) I am willing to do some custom work!!!

Theo
10-19-2010, 03:19 AM
What I have done:

Cut a square hole in the plastic cover where the air filter sits on. I cut the hole just big enough, so that the filter sits in there. Then I closed the original air filter box topside holes and cut a square hole under, just a little smaller than the air filter and fitted the original air filter box ontop. So now all the cold air from in front of radiator gets pulled in. well.....maybe I could feel a difference on higher speeds especially with the air scoop in front?

Bad Karma
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
I have the one posted in the original post, because it came on the car. The fit of it isn't the best I've seen, I actually modified it a little so that the coupler would seat better. Also the bottom of it warped a bit and had to be reshaped.

For the price I wouldn't buy one. If I were you, and going to buy an aftermarket intake, I would get buy the SLP intake for half the price.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21050

ChadroletZ52
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
I bought into the hype and bought a $240 slp cold air kit. If it increased the power at all it wasnt enough to notice in the pedal! The only thing i noticed was faster throttle response and a smoother acceleration. That to may have been minimal but it is what i convinced myself it did so i can sleep at night for wasting that money!