100 HP gain from head and cam in LS3? [Archive] - SmokinVette.com Forums

: 100 HP gain from head and cam in LS3?

Crash70
09-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Is it realistic to see 100HP gain from a head and cam swap in a LS3, while still remaining to be daily drivable?

Maggie Vette
09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I would say 80 to 100HP is realistic.

MightyC6
09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
75HP is about right

Antonio1988
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I would say if the combo is aggressive enough and the tuner adds plenty of timing and fuel, then yes

Get SUMM
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I would say if the combo is aggressive enough and the tuner adds plenty of timing and fuel, then yes

:iagree: a good tune is going to make all the difference in the world.

Danko
09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Please explain why adjusting software can be so beneficial. I would think if it was that simple, the factory would have done it. Is the stock set-up a compromise for fuel efficiency? Is it that simple? Does a variation in software programming give substantially better performance but cost some extra fuel, or what?

MarksBlueMeanie
09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Please explain why adjusting software can be so beneficial. I would think if it was that simple, the factory would have done it. Is the stock set-up a compromise for fuel efficiency? Is it that simple? Does a variation in software programming give substantially better performance but cost some extra fuel, or what?

Its not necessarily the tune on a stock car, but a tune on a modified one. When you add a cam, headers, or any other real performance part, the car needs to be retuned to allow for the less restrictive/ higher performing parts.

HummerMan
09-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Its not necessarily the tune on a stock car, but a tune on a modified one. When you add a cam, headers, or any other real performance part, the car needs to be retuned to allow for the less restrictive/ higher performing parts.

:iagree: I'm going to agree with Meanie

WSTNGAS_C6
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Is it realistic to see 100HP gain from a head and cam swap in a LS3, while still remaining to be daily drivable?

I gained a bit more than 60 WHP with only a cam on an LS2. so heads, cam, intake on an LS3 will definetly give you 100whp. I dont have that aggressive of a cam (232/234 .595/.598 113lsa) and it is COMPLETLY daily drivable. My cam with heads and an intake will definetly give you the power you want and be driveable and honeslty you could even go more aggressive with the cam and get more power and still be driveable.

KJs Toy
09-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I gained a bit more than 60 WHP with only a cam on an LS2. so heads, cam, intake on an LS3 will definetly give you 100whp. I dont have that aggressive of a cam (232/234 .595/.598 113lsa) and it is COMPLETLY daily drivable. My cam with heads and an intake will definetly give you the power you want and be driveable and honeslty you could even go more aggressive with the cam and get more power and still be driveable.

60 WHP with a cam is a lot. I picked up only 83 RWHP with Trickflow heads and a Vengeance VRX5 cam on my LS2. Should be closer to a 100HP gain on a LS3.

dinkster07
09-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Depends on how aggressive the cam is IMO.

Ragtop 99
09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Depends upon your definition of daily driver and at what rpm you're willing to expect some bucking.
420 RWHP in a headers/CAI/tune LS3 on 93 octane is not uncommon.
520 RWHP NA LS3 cars are uncommon. With some head work, a healthy cam, FAST intake, flycut pistons, etc. you can get there, but I doubt many of the 520 RWHP cars can troll along in 1st gear at 1000 rpm in stop and go traffic.

Sales@Vengeance
09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
We have several heads and cam's packages to fit you horsepower needs. Give us a call with any questions or check out our site. We are currently in the process of updating our online catalog so all packages are not currently shown on line. 678-513-7105:burnout:

HummerMan
09-23-2010, 07:28 PM
We have several heads and cam's packages to fit you horsepower needs. Give us a call with any questions or check out our site. We are currently in the process of updating our online catalog so all packages are not currently shown on line. 678-513-7105:burnout:

Do you guys machine your own cams?

Still Kickin
09-23-2010, 11:50 PM

Doesn't the factory detune the cars to make sure they make it through the warranty period?

powerlabs
09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Doesn't the factory detune the cars to make sure they make it through the warranty period?

"Detune" is really not the right word here. A factory Corvette is tuned to be absolutely as powerful as it can be, while:
1- Passing all of the government's stringent emissions and fuel economy tests. This one right here instantly rules out agressive cams, long tube headers, extensive head porting, etc.

2- Being able to run, reliably, in every single place, every possible weather condition, under every single driving condition, on any fuel available in the country. Good luck doing that with a "hot" tune.

3- Running smoothly and quietly under all driving conditions. Again, good luck doing that with a big cam.

4- Running reliably, under all conditions, for a period exceeding 5 years / 100,000 miles (the warranty period). Even if the engine itself could make more power for that long (it probably can), no valvetrain in the world is going to last that long with an agressive high lift/high ramp rate cam...

That is why, for instance, when GM Engineers are tasked with producing a more powerful engine, they don't sit around and say: "What is the biggest cam we can stick in there?". They either increase displacement (LS1/6 => LS2 => LS3 => LS7), or they go forced induction (LS9 / LSA).

You can take a bone stock engine and squeeze out a LOT more power from it, but you are not doing it because the factory purposely detuned the engine; you are doing it because you accept driving a car that fails emissions and has no warranty. And that is perfectly fine. But the factory can't do that.

Ragtop 99
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Definitely not the biggest cam they can stick in there, ;) but the cam was a significant component of the LS1 to LS6 change. GM increased the duration and overlap with the 2002 Z06 cam compared to the 02 LS1 cam.