Clutch pedal goes to the floor and sticks [Archive] - SmokinVette.com Forums

: Clutch pedal goes to the floor and sticks

intercepter47
12-07-2008, 01:59 PM
One of the dealers said it could be a master cylinder leaking but I don't see any fluid on my engine or on my garage floor.

It sometimes sticks when I shift gears and it doesn't matter what gear is involved.

Any ideas what is going on with the clutch ?

Thank you,

Greg.

BLU COLLAR Z
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Have you looked at your clutch fluid lately? i bet its black as coal , you need to suck this old nasty fluid out and replace with dot 4, pump the pedal 25 times check color of clutch fluid and repeat until its clear i think this will fix your problem. I change my clutch fluid every time i drive the car :cheers:

intercepter47
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Clutch master cylinder ? I heard of a master cylinder for brakes but not for a clutch.

When the clutch sticks to the floor, I have to "pop" it back up with my toe, slipping my toe underneath it.

Still sounds like the fluid needs to be drained and replaced ?

Thanks again,

Greg.

BLU COLLAR Z
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Clutch master cylinder ? I heard of a master cylinder for brakes but not for a clutch.

When the clutch sticks to the floor, I have to "pop" it back up with my toe, slipping my toe underneath it.

Still sounds like the fluid needs to be drained and replaced ?

Thanks again,

Greg.YES,YES,YES Answer lies above

Junkman2008
12-07-2008, 10:20 PM
YES,YES,YES Answer lies above

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I don't even have a MN6 and I've read about this problem a ton of times. Sometimes you have to change the fluid, drive the car and change it again. I bet yours is in that shape.

tstar
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
:iagree: :iagree: Change your fluid, that usually fixes the problem. If you're still having problems a clutch stop or a change in driving style that limits how far you push the clutch down is in your future...

LOUIEINLI
12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
This is a service VME regarding 1997 through 2002 Corvettes. We’ve had several complaints of the clutch pedal not returning when depressed. If air gets into the hydraulic clutch system, the clutch pedal may not return when depressed. This may occur at low speeds, when stopped or possibly during high RPM shifts. One source of this condition may be the clutch slave cylinder. If the clutch pressure plate was not evenly torqued to the flywheel it may have been distorted. This could result in the clutch release fingers being uneven causing the clutch slave cylinder to wobble. This wobble will eventually damage the internal seal and the slave cylinder allowing air to enter the system. If this situation is present the recommended repair is to replace both the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. A visual inspection of the pressure plate release fingers for wobble, which would appear similar to a bent wheel, should be performed when servicing the slave cylinder. If the release fingers are found to have this condition, it will also be necessary to replace the clutch assembly. Evenly torquing the pressure plate to the flywheel is necessary to prevent this condition.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Junkman2008
12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
This is a service VME regarding 1997 through 2002 Corvettes. We’ve had several complaints of the clutch pedal not returning when depressed. If air gets into the hydraulic clutch system, the clutch pedal may not return when depressed. This may occur at low speeds, when stopped or possibly during high RPM shifts. One source of this condition may be the clutch slave cylinder. If the clutch pressure plate was not evenly torqued to the flywheel it may have been distorted. This could result in the clutch release fingers being uneven causing the clutch slave cylinder to wobble. This wobble will eventually damage the internal seal and the slave cylinder allowing air to enter the system. If this situation is present the recommended repair is to replace both the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. A visual inspection of the pressure plate release fingers for wobble, which would appear similar to a bent wheel, should be performed when servicing the slave cylinder. If the release fingers are found to have this condition, it will also be necessary to replace the clutch assembly. Evenly torquing the pressure plate to the flywheel is necessary to prevent this condition.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

I still bet it's dirty fluid.

BLU COLLAR Z
12-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I still bet it's dirty fluid.
:thumbsup3: No doubt

hammatime
12-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Last time that happend to me it was the slavecylider.

darren6114
12-11-2008, 07:41 PM
i recently replaced my clutch and afterwards had a problem putting it in reverse. i replaced and bleed the fluid and everything was well. today on the way to work i noticed that there is a vibration at around 2000 rpm give or take about 250 rpm. does anyone have an idea of what this could be caused by

kryptonite
12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
I agree with the Junkman in that change the fluid!!!!:thumbsup3:

Junkman2008
12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Here is some more good info about the clutch fluid (http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html).

2000BlkBeast
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
this might be a stupid question but did u check to see if it is getting caught on the floor mat???

jgillen1
12-14-2008, 11:33 AM
although we have never had any clutch problems with our '03 vette i decided to take a close look at the clutch fluid this morning. it did look kind of dirty so i sucked the resevoir dry with a lint free towel, cleaned the diaphram and cap and replaced the fluid with prestone dot 4 synthetic. i'll check it again after driving a few miles and see if it needs to be changed again. i have done this same procedure with the power steering resevoir on other vehicles i have owned and it does seem to prevent problems.:burnout: