2001 C5 Corvette Check Engine Light - SmokinVette.com Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Smokin 100HP Club
 
SnowKitty01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 196
2001 C5 Corvette Check Engine Light

As mentioned in my little intro, I'm new here with a question. While driving back from a dinner part on Wednesday night my 2001 C5 Corvette with around 48,000 miles, I noticed the check engine thing was lit. The following day I brought the car to my local dealer and the service manager at the Chevrolet dealership told me they could not inspect the car until the light goes out for me to bring it back after the light goes out for the inspection??? This guy didn't come across as professional at all, I have never had any problems with this car? Any ideas?
SnowKitty01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Smokin 200HP Club
 
prochargedvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowKitty01 View Post
As mentioned in my little intro, I'm new here with a question. While driving back from a dinner part on Wednesday night my 2001 C5 Corvette with around 48,000 miles, I noticed the check engine thing was lit. The following day I brought the car to my local dealer and the service manager at the Chevrolet dealership told me they could not inspect the car until the light goes out for me to bring it back after the light goes out for the inspection??? This guy didn't come across as professional at all, I have never had any problems with this car? Any ideas?

Did they plug their computer into the car?
prochargedvette is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Smokin 100HP Club
 
espz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 105
They didn't pull the codes???
Do it yourself:

Turn the ignition key on, but don't start the car (actually I've done it with the car running, but it's recommended to not do that).

Hold down the OPTIONS button and press the FUEL button four times. You're now in diagonstic mode. It should run through any and all codes. You can play with the buttons to scroll through them once it's done flashing everything. Write them all down. Any code with an "H" in it means that it's history, that it happened at some point and probably isn't a problem unless it comes up again. You can press the RESET button to clear those. Post the codes that come up and we'll see if we can't help you out a bit.
espz06 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Smokin Member
 
rainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by espz06 View Post
They didn't pull the codes???
Do it yourself:

Turn the ignition key on, but don't start the car (actually I've done it with the car running, but it's recommended to not do that).

Hold down the OPTIONS button and press the FUEL button four times. You're now in diagonstic mode. It should run through any and all codes. You can play with the buttons to scroll through them once it's done flashing everything. Write them all down. Any code with an "H" in it means that it's history, that it happened at some point and probably isn't a problem unless it comes up again. You can press the RESET button to clear those. Post the codes that come up and we'll see if we can't help you out a bit.
I didn't know you could do this? I always wondered how people seemed to always have their codes?
rainman is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Smokin 100HP Club
 
espz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 105
It's pretty easy...and the first time you do it, it's like opening the suitcase in Pulp Fiction....or Indy opening the Ark of the Covenant...it's just REALLY cool that the DIC has that much information.
espz06 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Smokin 100HP Club
 
SnowKitty01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 196
Thanks a bunch I'm not really good with anything on the car so going to have a friend do what you have just shared. I printed out everything! Will keep you posted.
SnowKitty01 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Smokin Member
 
BMW-GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22
I have to give GM some credit, I have a 2004 C5 with 118,000 miles on it and engine light has been on for the last couple months at least! I'm scared to see how many codes come up!
BMW-GUY is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Agent
 
Lethal Tendencies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,431
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GUY View Post
I have to give GM some credit, I have a 2004 C5 with 118,000 miles on it and engine light has been on for the last couple months at least! I'm scared to see how many codes come up!
Don't worry, you will see alot of codes,but alot of them will be meaningless.Its in your cars best interest to get the problem solved
Lethal Tendencies is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club
 
tom snitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: arlingtion heights, il
Posts: 1,067
If you have a check engine lite coming on, any reputable mechanic should be able to plug it into a computer/code readout device and in about 3 minutes determine if the problem warrants addressing further.

Don't mess around and risk allowing a small problem to grow into a big one!
tom snitzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Share This Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SmokinVette.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome