Sweet Thunder sidepipes - SmokinVette.com Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lethal Tendencies
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
stevolwevol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Saugatuck Michigan
Posts: 35
Sweet Thunder sidepipes

I was looking at putting on side pipes, and I ran across Sweet Thunder. They have stainless, and aluminized. I am debating on whether to bolt them to stock manifolds, or get headers first, or get headers, that go with side pipes. Input would be appreciated.
stevolwevol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Agent
 
Lethal Tendencies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,545
Garage
I am not a sidepipes guy. But if I were to install them I would definitely do headers that are designed for the sidepipes



'77 coupe(sold) '86 coupe(sold)'98 vert (sold) '00 coupe( sold ) '85 coupe( sold ) '75 Vert ( Last one ? )

http://lethalvette.blogspot.com/
Lethal Tendencies is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer
 
USNChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,215
I went with Hooker headers and side pipes. Definitely put on headers.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Jim F.
USNChief is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
stevolwevol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Saugatuck Michigan
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNChief View Post
I went with Hooker headers and side pipes. Definitely put on headers.
I have heard mixed comments about having headers, and mufflers, implying mufflers defeat the purpose of headers. Is this true? I'd like to know. The side pipes I am looking at are chambered, which I like. I like loud, but I still need to hear my self think. Also I don't want the torque curve moved to higher rpm's, since I redline at 5500 w/ L48. I sure like the look of headers collecting outside of the car, but the price goes up up up.
stevolwevol is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer
 
USNChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevolwevol View Post
I have heard mixed comments about having headers, and mufflers, implying mufflers defeat the purpose of headers. Is this true? I'd like to know. The side pipes I am looking at are chambered, which I like. I like loud, but I still need to hear my self think. Also I don't want the torque curve moved to higher rpm's, since I redline at 5500 w/ L48. I sure like the look of headers collecting outside of the car, but the price goes up up up.
It is my opinion, that is you don't have some sort of muffler, you won't be allowed on the street. Hooker offers three types of mufflers. At least they did when I bought mine. Quiet, middle and loud. I went with middle. My Vette is modified to a 383 stroker. I have 385 hp and 427 lbs of torque.

Let us know what you decide.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Jim F.
USNChief is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Agent
 
Lethal Tendencies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,545
Garage
There is no way I could run sidepipes. My car is slammed so low to the ground now the pipes would be scrapeing everything



'77 coupe(sold) '86 coupe(sold)'98 vert (sold) '00 coupe( sold ) '85 coupe( sold ) '75 Vert ( Last one ? )

http://lethalvette.blogspot.com/
Lethal Tendencies is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
stevolwevol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Saugatuck Michigan
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNChief View Post
It is my opinion, that is you don't have some sort of muffler, you won't be allowed on the street. Hooker offers three types of mufflers. At least they did when I bought mine. Quiet, middle and loud. I went with middle. My Vette is modified to a 383 stroker. I have 385 hp and 427 lbs of torque.

Let us know what you decide.
OOOh come on now, any seasoned gear head knows how to coast past a cop :-) Actually I'd like the privilege of listening to all three, but I'd bet middle would be what I'd go with.
stevolwevol is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Smokin 3000HP Drag Racer
 
USNChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevolwevol View Post
OOOh come on now, any seasoned gear head knows how to coast past a cop :-) Actually I'd like the privilege of listening to all three, but I'd bet middle would be what I'd go with.
Fair enough. I'm guessing you wouldn't be to popular with your neighbors.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Jim F.
USNChief is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
stevolwevol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Saugatuck Michigan
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNChief View Post
Fair enough. I'm guessing you wouldn't be to popular with your neighbors.
Well, let me see now.. Both my Camaro, and my Vette have low restriction chambered exhaust that I would call "medium" on a a scale of quite to loud, kinda like what you describe your side pipes as. I don't run straight pipes. If I'm not popular with my neighbors because of my taste in cars, then they can buy me out.
stevolwevol is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Agent
 
Lethal Tendencies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,545
Garage
There is enough Harley's in my hood making noise that no one would bother complaining about my vette
stevolwevol likes this.



'77 coupe(sold) '86 coupe(sold)'98 vert (sold) '00 coupe( sold ) '85 coupe( sold ) '75 Vert ( Last one ? )

http://lethalvette.blogspot.com/
Lethal Tendencies is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Share This Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SmokinVette.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome