Z06 and fixed roof - SmokinVette.com Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Smokin 100HP Club
 
CEEYA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 155
Question Z06 and fixed roof

I was just looking at Z06 and wondering why fixed roof? My first guess would be power increase, but then when you think about how many C6 owners with modified motors and forced induction. I don't think I have ever heard of someone twisting their car from torque. See my point? Am I missing the big picture? What are the reasons that Z06 has fixed roof?
CEEYA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge
 
gerry miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEEYA View Post
I was just looking at Z06 and wondering why fixed roof? My first guess would be power increase, but then when you think about how many C6 owners with modified motors and forced induction. I don't think I have ever heard of someone twisting their car from torque. See my point? Am I missing the big picture? What are the reasons that Z06 has fixed roof?
Stiffer Body and Chassis together equals better consistent handling. That is the simple answer.

TROUBLE MAKER
2008 Chrome Gumbys
Corsa Extremes
F55
White Smokin Hoodie
gerry miller is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Agent
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alvaton, Ky
Posts: 2,233
Actually the Z06 can (and does) twist the frame from the increased torque. The difference being that the Z06 uses an aluminum version of the C6 frame. The coupe and convertible use a steel frame. The Z06 frame is 136 pounds lighter than the coupe and convertible steel frame. This was done to bring the overall weight down to bring out the performance and improve the pound per horsepower rating of the car.

The Z06 will twist itself up so badly with the roof panel removed under performance driving that the roof panel in some cases cannot be re-installed. This was testing on some prototype cars and the fixed roof panel was the ultimate solution.



NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Master Ambassador
2005 Precision Red Coupe - Born on 10/04/2004 Adopted 05/26/06

Past Corvettes
1997 TR Coupe. MN6 19I. Born on 04/15/1997
1984 Coupe

And yeah, we wave.

More photos on my site. www.theredlion.us/Redlion2.htm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/C6/

and here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/Corvette/
talon90 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Smokin Member
 
teking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Geneva Florida
Posts: 42
The Z06 has an aluminum frame, magnesium engine cradle, titanium roof frame all for weight reduction. Regular C6 is all steel and the weight reflects that.

Aluminum is not as rigid as steel obviously. Z06 needs the fixed roof for rigidity given the added torque and track intended design.
teking is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club
 
Mr. Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,285
My only gripe about the fixed roof is that I wish GM would have given the car it's "own roof". So that there were no "lines" where the roof would have come off.
Mr. Hyde is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Smokin 4000HP World Challenge
 
gerry miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
My only gripe about the fixed roof is that I wish GM would have given the car it's "own roof". So that there were no "lines" where the roof would have come off.

Again Talon comes through concise and to the point.

TROUBLE MAKER
2008 Chrome Gumbys
Corsa Extremes
F55
White Smokin Hoodie
gerry miller is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Agent
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alvaton, Ky
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
My only gripe about the fixed roof is that I wish GM would have given the car it's "own roof". So that there were no "lines" where the roof would have come off.
The original desire was for it to be a removable top, when it didn't work out I believe that timing, design effort and cost became a factor. Further, and of equal importance is the issue of the assembly operation. With the current configuration the car can be assembled using all the same mechanization and fixturing that the coupe uses which saves time, money and line speed.



NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Master Ambassador
2005 Precision Red Coupe - Born on 10/04/2004 Adopted 05/26/06

Past Corvettes
1997 TR Coupe. MN6 19I. Born on 04/15/1997
1984 Coupe

And yeah, we wave.

More photos on my site. www.theredlion.us/Redlion2.htm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/C6/

and here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v610/talon_90th/Corvette/
talon90 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club
 
Mr. Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,285
Talon...you are the man!
Mr. Hyde is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Smokin 1000HP Twin Turbo Club
 
BUBBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
Actually the Z06 can (and does) twist the frame from the increased torque. The difference being that the Z06 uses an aluminum version of the C6 frame. The coupe and convertible use a steel frame. The Z06 frame is 136 pounds lighter than the coupe and convertible steel frame. This was done to bring the overall weight down to bring out the performance and improve the pound per horsepower rating of the car.

The Z06 will twist itself up so badly with the roof panel removed under performance driving that the roof panel in some cases cannot be re-installed. This was testing on some prototype cars and the fixed roof panel was the ultimate solution.
That must be some serious torque to go twisting the car like this? But then again when you consider a top off situation the only part is the floor and hump keeping the car straight.

Whats Hiding in Bubba's garage?

2007 Indy 500 Pace Car - 2240 miles
2001 C5 6 Speed Corvette - 96,000 miles
2003 Dodge Ram Pickup - 54,000 miles
1984 C4 Corvette - 68,000 miles - SOLD and Missed
BUBBA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Share This Thread

Tags
z06 fixed roof

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SmokinVette.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome