Headlight and Electrical HELP!! - SmokinVette.com Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
xCrossFirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ga
Posts: 18
Question Headlight and Electrical HELP!!

Hey everyone im new here and i was hope'n you guys could help me out.
I have a 1984 vette with the crossfire. I was on way home tonight and noticed my lights were flickering just barely, it slowly got worse to the point where all the lights in the front cut off completely. I was able to get home safely by driving slow while they were cuting in and out wildly.
I parked the car and go to turn the lights off, and they wouldnt tuck! the lights cut off but they make no sound when the knob is in, but when i pull the knob out it makes the usual sound as if it were coming out!, are both probs related? how would i fix them??
xCrossFirex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 9,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrossFirex View Post
Hey everyone im new here and i was hope'n you guys could help me out.
I have a 1984 vette with the crossfire. I was on way home tonight and noticed my lights were flickering just barely, it slowly got worse to the point where all the lights in the front cut off completely. I was able to get home safely by driving slow while they were cuting in and out wildly.
I parked the car and go to turn the lights off, and they wouldnt tuck! the lights cut off but they make no sound when the knob is in, but when i pull the knob out it makes the usual sound as if it were coming out!, are both probs related? how would i fix them??

If both of the lights are flickering it's likely your headlight switch is beginning to fail. Or, the ground wire going to them may have a poor ground. As far as their not closing it sounds like their gears are stripped (rebuild kits are readily available from all of the vendors).

If you're interested in gaining about 50 horsepower for under $100 e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com and I'll tell you how.
toobroketoretire is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
xCrossFirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ga
Posts: 18
Thanks for the help! I'm going to check it out now.
as for the lights not going down would the motors make any sound when i push knob in and out? i dont hear anything just a click near the front.
Also where can i get a wiring diagram?

thanks again -toobroke-
xCrossFirex is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Smokin 400HP Club
 
crossflag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lebanon,Pa.
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobroketoretire View Post
If both of the lights are flickering it's likely your headlight switch is beginning to fail. Or, the ground wire going to them may have a poor ground. As far as their not closing it sounds like their gears are stripped (rebuild kits are readily available from all of the vendors).

If you're interested in gaining about 50 horsepower for under $100 e-mail me at sw82vette@yahoo.com and I'll tell you how.

Could this be the "R" word LOL

Wrap ur Azz in Fiberglass
crossflag is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrossFirex View Post
as for the lights not going down would the motors make any sound when i push knob in and out?
Depends
Need to get the DVM out and see if
power coming out of the switch ( faulty switch )
power going into relays , ( bad wiring )
power coming out of relays , ( bad relays )
power getting to the motors ,
Any number of possibilities

Owning a factory service manual (FSM ) with the wiring diagrams is essential if you want to fault find on your car

Can be had on a Cd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevrol...3be561&vxp=mtr

so you just print out what pages you are working on to use in the garage

"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz
vetteoz is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 9,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteoz View Post

Owning a factory service manual (FSM ) with the wiring diagrams is essential if you want to fault find on your car

A factory shop manual is a "must have" for every Corvette made after 1967. Especially needed for the '84's and later as they use so many electrical components.

Several years ago I read a very interesting article about the "big three" and their parts suppliers. When you are a manufacturer of something and you want to sell your product to the big three they will send accountants to your business and go over your books. As a vendor you are only allowed a 10% net profit after wages and insurance/retirement plans are paid for.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 12-19-2012 at 03:13 PM.
toobroketoretire is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Smokin Member
 
xCrossFirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ga
Posts: 18
Quick update on my situation, when i came home today it looks as if my lights flipped themselves back over? is that possible?,Anyway thanks again everyone for your help ill be buying that FSM and I plan on checking the grounds and what not, any idea on how to get the knob off the light switch?
xCrossFirex is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Smokin 5000HP+ Posting Maniac
 
vettex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spotter
Posts: 5,466
just pull straight out

NASCAR Winston Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Dirt Track)
NASCAR Dodge Weekly Racing Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series Track Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
NASCAR Whelen All American Weekly Series California State Championship Crew Member (Pavement)
vettex2 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Smokin 2500HP Pro Road Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrossFirex View Post
any idea on how to get the knob off the light switch?
Knob doesn't come off , it is attached to the shaft.
There is a release button on the underside of the switch you push in while pulling the knob out to remove the knob and shaft as one unit


"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." --Bob Lutz
vetteoz is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Smokin 750HP Supercharged Club
 
lostvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Naples,Florida
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossflag View Post
[/COLOR]
Could this be the "R" word LOL

A Nitrous Vette is a HAPPY VETTE !
lostvette is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Share This Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SmokinVette.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome